While a stomach bug is possible year-round, the peak season is between November and April. Today we’re diving into the details of common stomach bugs, including what they entail, and the benefit of an IV clinic for illness recovery.
Types of Stomach Bugs
There is a wide range of different stomach bugs or stomach viruses, medically known as viral gastroenteritis. These are a few of the most common:
- Rotavirus – Rotaviruses is the most common cause of diarrhoeal disease among infants and young children – most will have had it by the age of 5. In adults, symptoms are typically mild. It can be spread through direct contact, including sneezing and coughing.
- Norovirus – Highly contagious, Norovirus causes vomiting and diarrhea. Anyone can get infected and sick with norovirus, which is spread through contaminated food and water, and direct contact with an infected person.
- Adenovirus – Able to cause a range of illnesses, Adenovirus may present similarly to the common cold or the stomach flu. It can cause symptoms ranging from bronchitis, to pink eyes and UTIs, and is spread through direct contact and airborne droplets.
- Astrovirus – Most common in young children and the elderly, Astrovirus is less severe than other stomach bugs. It can cause fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is spread by person-to-person contact or through contaminated food or water.
Note that Bacterial Gastroenteritis is not a stomach bug, although it is deceivingly similar to Viral Gastroenteritis. Also known as food poisoning, it is caused by food contamination and can lead to fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. Thankfully, it can also be treated by IV therapy!
Stomach Flu Treatment
The reality is that a stomach bug will resolve itself, usually within several days. In some instances, a doctor may offer medication, if it lasts longer than is typical. However, you can still treat the symptoms in order to be more comfortable during the recovery period, via the restoration of necessary fluids, electrolytes, and vitamins. Here is how:
1. Saline Solution – Vida-Flo’s sterile saline solution replenishes the body by delivering vitamins and nutrients directly into your bloodstream, hydrating your body with 100% absorption, and excreting anything your body doesn’t need.
2. Electrolytes – Electrolytes are vital in preventing dehydration and are the key to recovering from the flu or stomach flu.
3. Vitamin C – Vitamin C relieves and prevents flu symptoms and protects your digestive system.
4. Zinc – Zinc reduces the duration of the stomach flu, relieving patients of symptoms like diarrhea.
5. Zofran – Zofran prevents nausea and vomiting, allowing patients to keep fluids down!
When you need the best of the best, go with our Advanced Gains Super Booster! The ultimate immune system booster with a mega-dose of Vitamin C, this add-on will help support your body during the recovery period.
Want to feel better fast while you wait the stomach bug out? Visit the Vida-Flo IV clinic for illness recovery! Our IV therapy treatments can help alleviate the most common stomach bug symptoms to make you more comfortable. And with our on-the-go services, you can even enjoy the treatment from your own home. Contact us today to book an appointment!